19.10.11

...the desires of your heart

It seems to be fairly common for people to tell me, "you will have the desires of your heart" (Ps37:4). Mostly recently on Monday evening someone yet again spoke these words to me, which reminded someone else of a time when they did as well.

As I've been pondering & thinking about these eight little words that are so often thrown around, I'm realizing that at the moment I couldn't even tell you exactly what "the desires of my heart" are. I've had plenty of dreams, things I've wanted to accomplish. From getting married, to being a children's pastor, owning a home...the list goes on, however these are all things that have already been "checked" off the list.

At the moment, it feels as though I'm in the place of having to dream new dreams. What are those "desires of my heart"? It also feels as though it's the start of a new season in my life, & with this new season it would only seem natural for there to be some new dreams as well. Yet, it feels as though there aren't any at the moment.

The fabulous news, is that those eight little words are preceded by five profound words, "Take delight in the Lord." The truth is, that the desires don't come until I do something. This happens to be the best thing for me at the moment. I may not have a clear idea as to what my dreams & desires are right now, but I do know about delighting in the Lord. I also happen to firmly believe that not only is He the one who gives us the desires of our hearts, but He also plants those desires in our hearts in the first place.

No comments: