26.11.07

changing the world.


There’s a song that many Christians my age know and love called “History Maker.” I think the reason my generation loves it so much is b/c we all (including older and younger generations) desire to be remembered, to be noticed. If the only way we’ll achieve that is through making history, then we’re going to do it.

The sad thing is, how many thousands upon thousands of Christians have sung that song at the top of their lungs, but upon the song ending have nothing but a warm fuzzy feeling and no conviction to actually be a history maker?

For as much as I believe we want to make history and change history, I think we’re all to scared, to actually do it. Despite our desires to be remembered, and to be noticed, we’d rather not incase what we are remembered for, or noticed for is something that actually makes us out to be idiots.

I look at Jesus, the ultimate history maker and how people reacted to Him. He was an idiot in some people’s eyes yet made the biggest impact on history known to mankind. And still…I’m afraid I might be made out to be an idiot. That’s actually what makes me the idiot. My own insecurity.

There’s this phrase that I often hear from my co-workers and other people that I interact with on a regular basis that says “you’re here for such a time as this.” If that is in fact true what am I so insecure about? If I’d just get over my self and my own comfort level maybe I could in fact be a history maker.

I often tell people I desire to change the world one child at time. Pretty big statement, but
I honestly desire to
change
the
world
one
child
at
a
time.

How? How do I change the world? How do I change a child? Lucky for me I’m in the perfect position to bring about change…whether I actually do or not is another story.

I interact with anywhere from 10-50 kids on a Sunday morning alone. The choices I make in how I act and react can bring about change. Do I bring joy and display love to a child? Or I am impatient and frustrated as I converse with a little one? How am I changing their view of themselves, or others, of God?

I also have the chance to speak truth and purpose and love into who knows how many kids lives every Saturday morning. Am I living a life of integrity? Am I living how I’m challenging kids to live?

What are you doing to change your world? Does your neighbor know that you love them more then you love yourself (if not you might want to make some changes…check out the second greatest commandment sometime).

Really what my life comes down to is loving God and loving people. Does God know that I love Him? Do others know that I love Him? Do other people know that I love THEM?

Am I really willing to stop saying I want to be a history maker and instead just BE ONE?

Changing the world starts in your own home. In your neighborhood. At your job. With your family. With your friends. Are you leaving people the same way you found them? Are you making an impact? If so, hopefully it’s a positive one. I pray that you and I will have the guts to be history makers…true, sold out, whatever it takes, history makers.

No comments: